Heart transplant disparities have improved since the adoption of the Affordable Care Act; if the law is repealed, experts fear these disparities will return.
Compared with age, pulmonary hypertension, right ventricular failure, and cardiopulmonary bypass time may better predict outcomes in heart transplantation.
Patients undergoing empagliflozin therapy experienced a significant reduction in weight and BMI.
The Advanced Training Statement for advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology consists of 6 general competencies.
LVEF increased from 20% to 24% in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy and from 17% to 27% in patients with nonischemic cardiomyopathy.
Obese patients were at increased risk of death compared with patients of normal weight.
Restrictive Cardiomyopathy, Congenital Heart Disease Patients Have Higher Risks of Death Awaiting Transplantation
Risk of death adjusted hazard ratios by diagnoses relative to dilated cardiomyopathy were 1.70 (restrictive cardiomyopathy), 1.10 (ischemic cardiomyopathy), 1.23 (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy), 1.30 (valvular disease) and 1.37 (congenital heart disease).
For patients with mechanical circulatory support, a transplantation risk score can help predict mortality risk.
Basal-to-apical longitudinal strain abnormalities are similar in several types of cardiac amyloidosis.
Developing 3D technology could help surgeons choose donors for pediatric heart transplants.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- A 45-Year-Old Man Presents to the ED With Shortness of Breath, Confusion
- A 56-Year-Old Man With Flu-Like Symptoms Presents With Palpitations
- Acute Coronary Syndrome Benefits From Both Antiplatelets and DOACs
- 6MWT Clinically Relevant and Appropriate Prognostic Tool for PAH
- Fear of E-Cigarette Harm Cuts Teenagers' Use
- Clopidogrel Tablets Recalled Due to Mislabeling
- Mandatory Screening for Congenital Heart Disease: Effects on Infant Mortality
- Short-Run Atrial Tachyarrhythmia Associated With Increased Stroke Risk
- Effects of High-Intensity Exercise Training in Previously Sedentary Adults
- ACC Releases Decision Pathway on Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction
- Clinical Challenge: Upper Respiratory Infection 1 Year After Heart Transplant
- Use of Multiple Antihypertensive Agents Has Increased in Hospitalizations Complicated by Preeclampsia
- Targeting Underlying Conditions May Improve Sinus Rhythm in Atrial Fibrillation
- Metformin May Preserve Beta-Cell Function in T2DM
- A 67-Year-Old Man With Shortness of Breath After the Sonoma-Napa Wildfires