Monoclonal Protein on Serum Protein Electrophoresis (M Component)
Monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS)
Low concentration of monoclonal immunoglobulins (LCMI)
Heavy chain disease
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For multiple myeloma:
In addition to SPEP followed by immunofixation, quantitative serum immunoglobulin should be performed, because the M component must be greater than3 g/dL in the serum.
Bone marrow aspirate may be useful to show that at least 10% of the nucleated blood cells are plasma cells.
Bone marrow biopsy may be useful to show aggregates of plasma cells in focal or diffuse patterns.
CBC often reveals a normochromic normocytic anemia.
Peripheral blood smear often shows RBCs in a stacked or rouleaux formation.
For Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia:
Immunofixation to identify the M component as an IgM immunoglobulin with a quantitative IgM level greater than 3 g/dL
Serum viscosity is usually increased.
Peripheral blood smear often shows RBC aggregates in a rouleaux formation.
For heavy chain disease:
Immunofixation reveals the heavy chain as alpha, gamma, or mu.
Bone marrow examination may be informative.
Quantitative determination of the serum M component to demonstrate that an IgG or IgM monoclonal protein is less than 3.0 g/dL or an IgA monoclonal protein is less than 2.0 g/dL, or that a Bence-Jones protein is less than or equal to 1.0 g in a 24-hour urine specimen
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- A 56-Year-Old Man With Flu-Like Symptoms Presents With Palpitations
- A 45-Year-Old Man Presents to the ED With Shortness of Breath, Confusion
- 6MWT Clinically Relevant and Appropriate Prognostic Tool for PAH
- Fear of E-Cigarette Harm Cuts Teenagers' Use
- Cardiac Catheterization Labs May Be More Efficient With Quality Improvement Initiative
- Clopidogrel Tablets Recalled Due to Mislabeling
- Mandatory Screening for Congenital Heart Disease: Effects on Infant Mortality
- Short-Run Atrial Tachyarrhythmia Associated With Increased Stroke Risk
- Effects of High-Intensity Exercise Training in Previously Sedentary Adults
- ACC Releases Decision Pathway on Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction
- Clinical Challenge: Upper Respiratory Infection 1 Year After Heart Transplant
- Use of Multiple Antihypertensive Agents Has Increased in Preeclampsia
- Targeting Underlying Conditions May Improve Sinus Rhythm in Atrial Fibrillation
- Metformin May Preserve Beta-Cell Function in T2DM
- A 67-Year-Old Man With Shortness of Breath After the Sonoma-Napa Wildfires