Elevated Hemoglobin or Hematocrit
Pt with true polycythemia with an increased red blood cell (RBC) mass.
Pt with a relative polycythemia and a normal RBC mass as a result of dehydration or another state producing a low plasma volume.
Polycythemia in which the RBC mass is high enough to impair blood flow.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Polycythemia vera, also known as primary polycythemia, is not secondary to any disorder.
Polycythemia from an underlying disorder (secondary polycythemia) is much more common than primary polycythemia.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum erythropoietin level is low in primary polycythemia, unlike secondary polycythemia, so the erythropoietin (EPO) level can be useful in separating primary and secondary polycythemia.
Strict criteria are required for the diagnosis of polycythemia vera: (A1 plus A2 plus any other A) or (A1 plus A2 plus any 2B) criteria:
Increased RBC mass by hemoglobin, hematocrit, or RBC number (A1)
Erythrocytosis is not secondary to another cause (A2)
Clonal cytogenetic abnormality other than the Philadelphia chromosome (A4)
Endogenous erythroid colony formation in vitro (A5)
Platelet count greater than 400,000/µL (B1)
WBC count greater than 12,000/µL (B2)
Panmyelosis on bone marrow biopsy (B3)
Low serum EPO (B4)
Bone marrow biopsy may be useful to determine if polycythemia vera is in a hypercellular phase with greater than 60% cellularity or in a hypocellular bone marrow with markedly increased reticulin fibers.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- A 45-Year-Old Man Presents to the ED With Shortness of Breath, Confusion
- 6MWT Clinically Relevant and Appropriate Prognostic Tool for PAH
- Acute Coronary Syndrome Benefits From Both Antiplatelets and DOACs
- Pulmonary Hypertension Treatments Targeting NO Pathway Compared for Safety
- Patent Foramen Ovale May Increase Ischemic Stroke Risk Before Noncardiac Surgery
- Clopidogrel Tablets Recalled Due to Mislabeling
- Mandatory Screening for Congenital Heart Disease: Effects on Infant Mortality
- Short-Run Atrial Tachyarrhythmia Associated With Increased Stroke Risk
- Effects of High-Intensity Exercise Training in Previously Sedentary Adults
- ACC Releases Decision Pathway on Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction
- Clinical Challenge: Upper Respiratory Infection 1 Year After Heart Transplant
- Use of Multiple Antihypertensive Agents Has Increased in Hospitalizations Complicated by Preeclampsia
- Targeting Underlying Conditions May Improve Sinus Rhythm in Atrial Fibrillation
- Metformin May Preserve Beta-Cell Function in T2DM
- A 67-Year-Old Man With Shortness of Breath After the Sonoma-Napa Wildfires