Anterior Pituitary, Prolactin Deficiency
At a Glance
Prolactin deficiency is extremely rare and is typically encountered only after the anterior pituitary gland is destroyed by infarction. The inability to lactate after delivery of an infant is the only known presentation of prolactin deficiency.
What Tests Should I Request to Confirm My Clinical Dx? In addition, what follow-up tests might be useful?
Testing for prolactin deficiency is not clinically useful, because the primary function of prolactin is its role in lactogenesis and there is no treatment for women who cannot lactate due to pituitary hypofunction. There are also no standardized methods of evaluating prolactin reserve.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- Statins, CCBs Confer Long-Term Mortality Benefit in Hypertension
- Outcomes With Rivaroxaban in Chronic Heart Failure With Underlying CAD
- SAVR vs TAVR: Adverse Outcomes Risk in Aortic Stenosis
- Tafamidis Reduces Mortality, Hospitalizations in Transthyretin Amyloid Cardiomyopathy
- Biologic Use Linked to Reduced Cardiovascular Risk in Inflammatory Arthritis
- Can Chaplains Guide Clinical Decision Making? An Ethical Assessment of Spirituality in the Exam Room
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- CHEST Releases Guideline for Antithrombotic Therapy in Atrial Fibrillation
- CHA2DS2-VASc Scores Drive Clinical Outcomes in Atrial Fibrillation, Flutter
- Reducing HF Hospitalization Risk: Antidiabetic Drug Classes Compared
- Greater CVD Risk in Certain Age Groups With New Hypertension Guidelines
- FDA Approves Device to Treat Acute Coronary Artery Perforations
- No Apparent Short-Term Cancer Risk From Recalled Valsartan
- Generic Brevibloc in Single-Dose Bags Now Available
- FDA Finds Another Carcinogen in Certain Valsartan Products