Altered Urinary pH
Respiratory or metabolic acidosis
Respiratory or metabolic alkalosis Defect in renal tubular secretion and reabsorption
Don't Miss - Dangerous Situations
Severe acidosis or alkalosis could result in a lethal outcome in the short term and should be addressed immediately.
Commonly Encountered Situations
There are many causes of acidosis and alkalosis with altered urinary pH.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood gas testing is valuable in the assessment of respiratory or metabolic acidosis or alkalosis.
Serum or plasma BUN or creatinine for initial assessment of renal function should be ordered.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- FDA Reports Combination Hypertension Treatment Discontinued
- Automated Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Through Smartwatch Technology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of SGLT-2i vs Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs in T2D
- Outcomes With Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Heart Failure, Type 2 Diabetes
- Machine Learning Shows Potential in Diagnosing Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Chest Pain
- Digital Adherence Devices: Preventing Strokes in Afib One Reminder at a Time
- Pioglitazone Lowers Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in Diabetes
- Peripheral Artery Disease, DVT Risk May Increase With Varicose Veins
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness May Improve Executive Function in Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Preventing Chemotherapy-Related Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer
- Patent Foramen Ovale Characteristics May Predict Benefits of PFO Closure
- Low-Dose Triple Combo Therapy Effective in Hypertension
- Blood Pressure, Glucose Levels Worsened From the Great Recession
- Acute MI Hospital Mortality During Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Meeting Dates
- A 64-Year-Old Woman With Colorectal Cancer Presents to ED With Severe Chest Pain