Alcoholic Liver Disease (ALD)
At a Glance
No biochemical markers pathognomonic for alcoholic liver disease (ALD) exist. The diagnosis has to start with evidence of alcohol abuse either from a history of documented blood alcohol levels or from response to one of the questionnaires desired to elicit a history of ongoing alcohol abuse.
What Tests Should I Request to Confirm My Clinical Dx? In addition, what follow-up tests might be useful?
Historically, gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) has been used as a screening tool for alcoholism.
Another, relatively specific marker for ALD is carbohydrate deficient transferrin (CDT).
Elevations of aspartate aminotransferase up to six times the upper limit of normal and alanine aminotransferase up to 5 times its upper limit of normal is consistent with alcohol abuse, especially with a ratio greater than 2:1. A ratio of 3:1 has a sensitivity of 90% for the diagnosis.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- FDA Reports Combination Hypertension Treatment Discontinued
- Automated Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Through Smartwatch Technology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of SGLT-2i vs Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs in T2D
- Outcomes With Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Heart Failure, Type 2 Diabetes
- Machine Learning Shows Potential in Diagnosing Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Chest Pain
- Digital Adherence Devices: Preventing Strokes in Afib One Reminder at a Time
- Pioglitazone Lowers Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in Diabetes
- Peripheral Artery Disease, DVT Risk May Increase With Varicose Veins
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness May Improve Executive Function in Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Preventing Chemotherapy-Related Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer
- Patent Foramen Ovale Characteristics May Predict Benefits of PFO Closure
- Low-Dose Triple Combo Therapy Effective in Hypertension
- Blood Pressure, Glucose Levels Worsened From the Great Recession
- Acute MI Hospital Mortality During Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Meeting Dates
- A 64-Year-Old Woman With Colorectal Cancer Presents to ED With Severe Chest Pain