Neurosurgery Procedures & Complications
Hospitalists will likely be increasingly responsible for the co-management of neurosurgical patients and should be familiar with the most common neurosurgical procedures and managing potential medical complications.
II. Identify the Goal Behavior.
III. Describe a Step-by-Step approach/method to this problem.
Step 1: Determine Revised Cardiac Risk Index (RCRI) score
Step 2: Assess patient's functional exercise capacity
Spinal Decompression and Fusion
IV. Common Pitfalls.
Anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy:
- Discuss with neurosurgeon before starting anything that could increase bleeding risk
Volume management in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhages:
- Balancing risk of vasospasm with cardiopulmonary status
- Titrating BP meds too fast
Long-term steroid use:
- GI prophylaxis, glycemic control, counseling on muscle wasting/confusion/increased bleeding risk
V. National Standards, Core Indicators and Quality Measures.
No national standards/benchmarks established yet.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- Statins in Patients Older Than 75: A Meta-Analysis of 28 Controlled Trials
- Infection and Infarction: Cause and Effect?
- Open Surgical Repair of Descending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms Linked to Early Postoperative Mortality
- Emergency Department Barthel Index Score Predicts Heart Failure Mortality
- Reversal Agent Reduces Severe Bleeding With Factor Xa Inhibitors
- Societies Release Updated Guidelines for the Management of Atrial Fibrillation
- FDA: Unauthorized INR Test Strips Part of Large Recall
- Does Rivaroxaban Plus Aspirin Prevent Early Coronary Bypass Graft Occlusion?
- Banding Together: How Some Physicians Are Fighting the MOC Program
- Swan-Ganz Thermodilution Catheters Recalled Due to Lumen Reversal
- Machine Learning Algorithm May Guide Therapy in Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Linagliptin Non-Inferior to Glimepiride in Long-Term CV Outcome Study
- No Association Between LDL Cholesterol Levels and Risk for Sepsis
- PAH Therapy Guidelines Updated by CHEST Expert Panel
- Protecting Patient Privacy: HIPAA Compliance in the Electronic Age