In publishing updated appropriate use criteria, the organizations hope to provide guidance to clinicians who may refer patients for revascularization therapy.
Issues that affect employees in all industries are compounded by a unique set of additional concerns that affect employees of medical practices.
Venous thromboembolism recurrence risk may not be any higher in older patients than in younger patients.
Recent evidence links specific bacterial, viral infections, and vaccination to the development of APS, but these associations are not clear-cut.
Researchers comment on the implications of treating newborns and infants with von Willebrand factor (VWF) concentrate.
Compared with the general population, patients with type 2 diabetes are at a 35% to 60% greater risk for atrial fibrillation.
Screening for cardiovascular disease risk is recommended for clinicians who manage patients with bipolar disorder.
South Asians exhibit the highest rates of ASCVD among all ethnic groups, and the highest prevalence is in younger age groups; up to 25% of myocardial infarctions in India occur in individuals younger than 40 years of age.
Statin therapy is the first line of defense against high LDL-C and the risk for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in individuals with diabetes.
The use of aspirin in healthy elderly patients as a preventative strategy was associated with no prolongation of long-term disability-free survival compared with placebo.
Until universal access to healthcare is ensured as a human right, researchers must keep important ethical concerns in mind when designing future clinical trials.
The reasons for physicians' discomfort with conversations about dying are as much cultural, social, and systemic as they are personal.
The substantial burden of cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes has led to the exploration of various cardiovascular disease prevention strategies, including the use of aspirin.
Nutraceuticals may offer a solution to patients who cannot tolerate statins because of severe muscle pain.
A higher prevalence of traditional cardiovascular risk factors may be partially responsible for the increased incidence of cardiovascular disease in people living with HIV.
Current research suggests patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension may benefit from iron and vitamin D supplementation.
To aid in the prevention of preeclampsia, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the US Preventive Services Task Force recommend low-dose aspirin prophylaxis in patients with 1 or more high-risk factors.
Although COPD has been identified as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, researchers are less certain about the relationship between COPD and stroke.
Because of the increased risk for cardiovascular disease in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, the increase in fat mass caused by rheumatoid cachexia can be especially concerning.
Cardiopulmonary exercise testing can be an important diagnostic and prognostic tool in pulmonary arterial hypertension.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- Should Guidelines Use Higher Risk Thresholds When Recommending Statins for Primary CVD Prevention?
- Ezetimibe Plus Statins Modestly Reduce Cardiovascular Disease Event Risk
- ACC, AHA Publish Appropriate Use Criteria Guidelines for Peripheral Artery Intervention
- FDA: E-Liquids Found to Contain Undeclared Sildenafil and Tadalafil
- Ultrasound-Based Visualization of Silent Atherosclerosis May Improve Medication Adherence
- ACC Releases Consensus Decision Pathway for CVD Risk Reduction in T2D and ASCVD
- Childhood Behavioral Interventions May Promote Adult Cardiovascular Health
- US Medical Schools Increase in Diversity After Implementation of Accreditation Standards
- Botox Injections Explored to Reduce Postop AF in Cardiac Surgery
- AHA Scientific Statement: Low Risk of Side Effects With Statins
- Do More Aggressive Periprocedural Antibiotic Regimens Reduce Risk of Device-Related Infections?
- Adherence and Intensity of Lipid-Lowering Therapy Influence CV Risk
- Challenges in Weighing Costs, Therapeutic Benefits of Expensive Pharmaceuticals
- Sustained Systolic Blood Pressure Reductions With Barbershop Intervention
- Stethoscopes in ICU Show High Levels of Bacterial Contamination