New guidelines for dyslipidemia management and atherosclerosis prevention include a wider range of disease stages and more aggressive intervention.
Among patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia, alirocumab was associated with a 75% reduction in lipoprotein apheresis compared with placebo.
Statin use modified vaccine effectiveness and influenza risk for A(H3N2) infection but not for A(H1N1).
Vitamin D may influence cardiovascular disease risk via its effect on lipid levels.
A review of current antidiabetic drug treatments available and their individual cardiovascular risk profiles.
PCSK9 inhibitors may offer hope to patients with familial hypercholesterolemia who cannot tolerate or achieve goal LDL-C levels with statins.
For patients with autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels remain high despite intensive treatment.
An adjustable triglyceride/very low-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio based on triglycerides and non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol is more accurate than the fixed Friedewald estimation.
Patients with visit-to-visit variability of fasting plasma glucose may have a higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality.
The FDA has approved evolocumab for the prevention of heart attacks.
Lipid profiles of overweight people can be improved by eating raw almonds, dark chocolate, and cocoa.
PCSK9 may help assess apparent resistance to PCSK9 inhibitors.
Evolocumab may decrease the risk for adverse cardiovascular events in patients with and without diabetes.
Rates of approval for a PCSK9 inhibitor treatment are low overall.
Evolocumab is not associated with adverse cognitive effects even when low low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels have been achieved.
Serum lipid profile changes were shown to occur within the first year of initiating antiretroviral therapy in children.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- A 45-Year-Old Man Presents to the ED With Shortness of Breath, Confusion
- A 56-Year-Old Man With Flu-Like Symptoms Presents With Palpitations
- Acute Coronary Syndrome Benefits From Both Antiplatelets and DOACs
- 6MWT Clinically Relevant and Appropriate Prognostic Tool for PAH
- Fear of E-Cigarette Harm Cuts Teenagers' Use
- Clopidogrel Tablets Recalled Due to Mislabeling
- Mandatory Screening for Congenital Heart Disease: Effects on Infant Mortality
- Short-Run Atrial Tachyarrhythmia Associated With Increased Stroke Risk
- Effects of High-Intensity Exercise Training in Previously Sedentary Adults
- ACC Releases Decision Pathway on Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction
- Clinical Challenge: Upper Respiratory Infection 1 Year After Heart Transplant
- Use of Multiple Antihypertensive Agents Has Increased in Hospitalizations Complicated by Preeclampsia
- Targeting Underlying Conditions May Improve Sinus Rhythm in Atrial Fibrillation
- Metformin May Preserve Beta-Cell Function in T2DM
- A 67-Year-Old Man With Shortness of Breath After the Sonoma-Napa Wildfires