Patent foramen ovale closure resulted in a lower recurrence of stroke in patients with cryptogenic stroke and high-risk PFO characteristics.
A 64-year-old woman who was recently diagnosed with colorectal cancer is brought to the emergency department with substernal chest pain and shortness of breath.
Independent risk factors for urgency urinary incontinence included previous stroke or transient ischemic attack, increased body mass index, and hypertension.
Adherence to the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet is associated with reduced risk for depression in older adults.
African-Americans are at an increased risk of developing an ischemic stroke before or after atrial fibrillation diagnosis compared with whites.
Using digital adherence devices to improve medication adherence in patients with atrial fibrillation may reduce the rate of ischemic strokes.
Anticoagulants are associated with increased risk for ischemic stroke and hemorrhage in older patients with chronic kidney disease and a new diagnosis of atrial fibrillation.
In this study about quality of care for patients with TIA or minor stroke, patients who were evaluated and discharged from the emergency department without inpatient admission were less likely to receive guideline-adherent treatment.
Preoperatively diagnosed patent foramen ovale is associated with increased risk for perioperative ischemic stroke in adults undergoing noncardiac surgery.
In 8 studies, which included ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, women had worse outcomes than men, with significantly lower odds of good outcome.
Care quality for patients with transient ischemic attack or minor stroke varies substantially across elements of care and facilities.
Adherence to the Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay diet is associated with a slower rate of cognitive decline in stroke survivors.
Migraine was associated with elevated risks of myocardial infarction, stroke (ischemic and hemorrhagic), venous thromboembolism, and atrial fibrillation or flutter.
The next best diagnostic step in the workup of acute ischemic stroke in context of updated 2018 guidelines is discussed.
Individuals in the study were categorized based on the presence of single or multiple renal cysts; those with multiple cysts had higher odds of having a stroke.
Few US stroke survivors display ideal cardiovascular health.
The American Heart Association and the American Stroke Association have released updated guidelines for the early management of ischemic strokes.
Fixed-dose candesartan plus hydrochlorothiazide with rosuvastatin reduced the incidence of first stroke in patients at risk for cardiovascular disease.
The pooled relative risk for coronary heart disease was 1.48 and 2.04, respectively, for smoking 1 and 20 cigarettes per day.
Researchers found an upward trend in pregnancy-related spontaneous subarachnoid hemorrhage over a span of 12 years.
Sleep apnea is associated with risk for recurrent ischemic stroke and mortality.
Having a pharmacist at bedside during acute ischemic stroke is associated with significantly shorter door-to-needle times.
Percutaneous patent foramen ovale closure is superior to medical treatment alone in preventing recurrent strokeJanuary 23, 2018
Patent foramen ovale (PFO) closure was superior to medical treatment alone in preventing transient ischemic attack and recurrent stroke. However, PFO closure also raised the risk for atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter in people with PFO and cryptogenic stroke.
Thrombectomy performed between 6 and 24 hours after onset of acute stroke in patients with a mismatch between stroke symptoms and infarct volume results in better disability outcomes compared to standard care alone.
Beat-to-beat blood pressure variability is a novel way to predict risk for recurrent stroke and cardiovascular events.
One lot of clopidogrel, a platelet inhibitor, has been recalled due to mislabeling.
Outcome measure scores are associated with discharge destination in patients with acute or subacute stroke.
Cerebral blood flow improved with long-term intensive lifestyle intervention in overweight and obese adults with type 2 diabetes.
Patients with atrial fibrillation have a higher risk for ischemic stroke compared with patients with atrial flutter.
Women with migraine with aura taking high-dose estrogen-containing contraceptives are at an increased risk for stroke.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- FDA Reports Combination Hypertension Treatment Discontinued
- Automated Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Through Smartwatch Technology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of SGLT-2i vs Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs in T2D
- Outcomes With Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Heart Failure, Type 2 Diabetes
- Machine Learning Shows Potential in Diagnosing Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Chest Pain
- Digital Adherence Devices: Preventing Strokes in Afib One Reminder at a Time
- Pioglitazone Lowers Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in Diabetes
- Peripheral Artery Disease, DVT Risk May Increase With Varicose Veins
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness May Improve Executive Function in Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Preventing Chemotherapy-Related Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer
- Patent Foramen Ovale Characteristics May Predict Benefits of PFO Closure
- Low-Dose Triple Combo Therapy Effective in Hypertension
- Blood Pressure, Glucose Levels Worsened From the Great Recession
- Acute MI Hospital Mortality During Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Meeting Dates
- A 64-Year-Old Woman With Colorectal Cancer Presents to ED With Severe Chest Pain