Blood pressure and fasting glucose levels have increased as a result of the Great Recession.
Cocaine and/or marijuana use was present in 10% of patients with myocardial infarction were ≤50 years old.
Exposure to lead may increase the risk for all-cause, cardiovascular, and ischemic heart disease mortality.
The American Diabetes Association has responded with "deep" concern to recent hemoglobin A1c target guidance authored by the American College of Physicians.
Patients with gout and cardiovascular disease who were treated with febuxostat had significantly higher all-cause and cardiovascular mortality compared with those treated with allopurinol.
Independent risk factors for urgency urinary incontinence included previous stroke or transient ischemic attack, increased body mass index, and hypertension.
Pharmacists work closely with primary care providers, cardiologists, neurologists, and cardiac rehabilitation nurses as part of the health care team treating patients with cardiac disease.
Primary prevention with aspirin may reduce all-cause mortality in patients with heart failure and type 2 diabetes.
Nonadherence to continuous positive airway pressure treatment is associated with cardiovascular-cause hospital readmission in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.
Researchers found a correlation between larger changes in temperature and increased risk for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction.
Younger gestational age, longer postoperative duration of stay, and a confirmed genetic anomaly were associated with hearing loss after pediatric cardiac surgery.
For patients with type 2 diabetes, pioglitazone use may be associated with decreases in both cardiovascular and noncardiovascular mortality.
Statin medications taken around the time of influenza vaccination do not appear to affect the risk for influenza in older patients.
Obesity is associated with increased morbidity and mortality related to cardiovascular disease, compared with normal body mass index.
Extended prophylaxis with aspirin does not differ significantly from rivaroxaban for venous thromboembolism prevention in patients who have undergone total hip or knee arthroplasty.
Adherence to the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet is associated with reduced risk for depression in older adults.
There was an increased risk for acute respiratory distress syndrome after undergoing cardiac surgery during influenza season.
The prognosis was worse for prediabetes when defined by hemoglobin A1c than when defined by fasting plasma glucose.
Using digital adherence devices to improve medication adherence in patients with atrial fibrillation may reduce the rate of ischemic strokes.
Investigators sought to determine the association between cardiorespiratory fitness by maximal oxygen uptake with white matter fiber integrity and neurocognitive performance.
A history of cancer was associated with higher fibrinogen concentration, von Willebrand factor, and antithrombin activity, independent of cardiovascular risk factors.
The FDA recommends that healthcare professionals should be cautious when prescribing clarithromycin to patients with heart disease.
Pre-existing cardiovascular disease is the strongest risk factor for cardiovascular complications in patients with pneumonia.
Women have an increased risk of mental stress-induced myocardial ischemia after myocardial infarction.
Rheumatoid arthritis may be associated with an increased risk for hospitalization from heart failure.
Risk of dying from a tobacco-related cancer was increased for exclusive current and former cigarette smokers, exclusive current cigar smokers, and exclusive current pipe smokers.
Implantable cardioverter defibrillator placement in patients with chronic kidney disease was associated with increased risk for heart failure-related and any-cause hospitalization.
A 67-year-old man presents with shortness of breath since the Sonoma-Napa wildfires but otherwise feels well.
Greater perceived harm from e-cigarettes lessened the likelihood that teens would use them.
Congenital heart disease is associated with increased risk for dementia in adults.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- FDA Reports Combination Hypertension Treatment Discontinued
- Automated Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Through Smartwatch Technology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of SGLT-2i vs Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs in T2D
- Outcomes With Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Heart Failure, Type 2 Diabetes
- Machine Learning Shows Potential in Diagnosing Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Chest Pain
- Digital Adherence Devices: Preventing Strokes in Afib One Reminder at a Time
- Pioglitazone Lowers Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in Diabetes
- Peripheral Artery Disease, DVT Risk May Increase With Varicose Veins
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness May Improve Executive Function in Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Preventing Chemotherapy-Related Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer
- Patent Foramen Ovale Characteristics May Predict Benefits of PFO Closure
- Low-Dose Triple Combo Therapy Effective in Hypertension
- Blood Pressure, Glucose Levels Worsened From the Great Recession
- Acute MI Hospital Mortality During Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Meeting Dates
- A 64-Year-Old Woman With Colorectal Cancer Presents to ED With Severe Chest Pain