Heritability of BMI was significantly higher in children living in high-risk obesogenic environments compared with those living in low-risk environments.
High variability of fasting blood glucose and total cholesterol levels, systolic blood pressure, and BMI may be an independent predictor of cardiovascular events.
Supplementation with coenzyme Q10 may be an effective approach for managing statin-induced myopathy.
For this analysis, the authors used follow-up data from all 7020 patients included in the EMPA-REG OUTCOME trial to estimate the effect of empagliflozin on all-cause mortality vs placebo over the duration of a patient's lifetime.
Lorcaserin reduces the risk for diabetes in obese or overweight patients with prediabetes or without diabetes and reduces HbA1c among those with diabetes.
Atopic dermatitis was not found to be an independent risk factor for cardiometabolic disease in this meta-analysis.
Triglyceride-lowering variants in the lipoprotein lipase pathway are independently associated with protection from coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes.
WHO has also made recommendations for type of insulin for type 1 and type 2 diabetes in low-resource settings.
Increase in mortality when carbohydrates were exchanged for animal-derived fat or protein.
The increase in blood pressure ranged from 0.8 to 1.7 mm Hg per unit BMI in patients who were not taking antihypertensive medication.
In the CAMELLIA-TIMI 61 study, 12,000 overweight or obese patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease or multiple cardiovascular risk factors were randomized to receive either lorcaserin 10mg twice daily or placebo.
First-trimester HbA1c significantly improved gestational diabetes prediction compared with conventional risk factors.
The risk for cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes without manifest cardiovascular disease is primarily related to the severity of atherosclerosis.
While certain biomarkers are associated with eGFR decline in patients with type 2 diabetes, their predictive power is low.
Little or no excess risk of death, MI, or stroke in patients with type 2 diabetes who had their 5 risk factor variables within target ranges.
However, the temporary increase in type 2 diabetes risk does not attenuate benefits on total and CVD mortality.
Glucose concentration assessment before noncardiac surgery may help clinicians predict the risk for postoperative myocardial injury in patients with and without diabetes.
Using a combination of methodologies suggests higher BMI may increase blood pressure and left ventricular mass index in youth.
Bariatric surgery was associated with significantly lower risk for incident microvascular disease at 5 years.
Greater light and moderate-to-vigorous intensity physical activity were tied to a more favorable cardiac profile in adults aged 60 to 64.
The benefit of adopting a healthy lifestyle was seen even after the type 2 diabetes diagnosis was made.
Increasing screen time trends may have a negative cardiometabolic effect on young children.
Higher HDL cholesterol in postmenopausal women may mask heart disease risk.
Exercising and eating less were top weight loss methods, and more women than men attempted weight loss.
Diagnostic thresholds for gestational diabetes should be adapted using local populations.
A full-nut dose lowered HbA1c and estimated cholesterol levels in LDL particles of a certain diameter.
Small changes in health behaviors were seen in partners of those newly diagnosed with diabetes.
A clinical trial assessing canagliflozin (Invokana; Janssen) as an addition to standard-of-care in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) and type 2 diabetes (T2D) has been stopped early after meeting its pre-specified efficacy criteria.
The relationship between circadian rhythm and sleep measures and components of metabolic syndrome in patients with bipolar disorder.
Results showed the overall safety profile of linagliptin in study patients, including adults with kidney disease, was consistent with previous data.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- Class 1 Device Recall: Endologix AFX Device Recalled Due to Type III Endoleaks
- Harvard: Fraudulent Data Found in Publications of Heart Researcher
- Traumatic Life Events May Increase Risk for Atrial Fibrillation in Older Women
- No Differences Between Bivalirudin, UFH Post-PCI After Ticagrelor Pretreatment
- Rivaroxaban Approved to Reduce Risk of Major Cardiovascular Events in CAD, PAD
- Coenzyme Q10 Supplementation May Reduce Statin-Induced Myopathy
- Long-Term Exposure to Elevated BP Associated With AS and AR
- Risk Factors for Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease in the South Asian Population
- Takotsubo Syndrome Associated With Substantial Morbidity, Mortality
- Bariatric Surgery Reduces Macrovascular Complications in Obesity, T2D
- Metformin May Improve Vascular Health in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes
- Improved Cardiovascular Event Reporting Needed in Leukemia Clinical Trials
- Psoriasis Associated With Clinical Signs of Accelerated Atherosclerosis
- Can Dermatoscope Magnets Be Used With CV Implanted Electronic Devices?
- The Striking Effects of Diversity in Health Care: Improving Patient Outcomes