Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- The Connection Between Cardiovascular Disease and Sleep Apnea: An Expert Interview
- The Mounting Evidence Against Electronic Cigarette Use
- Entresto Significantly Improves Physical, Social Activity in Heart Failure Patients
- Nonpsychotic Cannabinoids in Hypertension: Benefits and Harms
- Clinical Case: Pregnant Woman Presents With Worsening Dyspnea
- Sacubitril/Valsartan vs Enalapril for Physical Activity Improvement in HFrEF
- Improved Outcomes With CABG vs PCI for Diabetes With LV Dysfunction
- Psoriasis Treatment Ixekizumab Safe for Cardiovascular Health
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Cardiovascular Complications of COPD