The FDA has approved CaroSpir, the first oral liquid formulation of spironolactone for hypertension and heart failure treatment.
Most pharmacotherapies appear not to have significant effect on all-cause or cardiovascular mortality in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.
Researchers have used a gene-editing tool to repair the segment of DNA that causes hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
Patients who took aspirin daily were not at a higher risk for heart failure complications compared with patients who took warfarin.
An estimated sodium intake of 3.7 g/day or above is associated with left ventricular longitudinal strain, circumferential strain, and e' velocity.
A young man presents with 1-day onset of acute substernal chest pressure. Can you identify its cause?
An elderly woman with comorbidities presents with chest pressure and shortness of breath after a stressful event and personal loss. Can you identify the correct diagnosis?
Adolescents with type 1 diabetes may benefit from a 20 week exercise training intervention that's associated with improved aerobic capacity and stroke volume.
Reducing hospital readmission rates for acute myocardial infarction, heart failure, and pneumonia didn't increase mortality rates, and may even have lowered death rates.
N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide showed the strongest association with heart failure in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Even a little weight gain can increase risk of developing heart failure, but people who lost weight were more likely to have a decrease in the thickness of their heart muscle.
Heart failure is the number 1 reason for patient re-admittance to acute-care facilities according to the American Heart Association.
Sudden death from heart failure rates have declined over the past 2 decades.
ICD therapy reduced the incidence of sudden and all-cause mortality in comparison to conventional care for ischemic or nonischemic cardiomyopathy.
Early treatment with loop diuretics is linked to lower in-hospital mortality in acute heart failure patients.
Greater left ventricle mass and left ventricle mass indexed to height were found in participants with a history of childhood asthma.
While hospitalizations for heart failure have declined overall, rates are still 2.5 times higher among blacks vs whites.
Researchers found four modifiable factors that account for heart failure risk in women with atrial fibrillation.
In patients with acute myocardial infarction without heart failure, beta-blockers did not reduce mortality risk at 1 year.
Individuals who had the lowest levels of recommended physical activity had elevated levels of high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T.
After discontinuing methamphetamine use, study participants showed reverse signs of heart damage.
Exercise Capacity in Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction Not Improved With Iron SupplementationMay 31, 2017
Patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction and iron deficiency do not benefit from iron supplementation.
Patients with acute heart failure who received intravenous morphine in the emergency department had higher mortality compared with patients who did not receive morphine.
Women who undergo early menopause or never gave birth may have an increased risk of heart failure.
Women with fewer menstrual cycles are at a higher risk for incident heart failure.
Ivabradine did not improve exercise capacity, diastolic function, or NT-proBNP levels in patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.
The American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, and the Heart Failure Society of America joined forces to update the previous 2013 heart failure treatment guidelines.
Direct oral anticoagulation reduced the risk of congestive heart failure admissions and all-cause mortality in both genders.
Patients with comorbid congestive heart failure who received parenteral nutrition experienced increased negative outcomes in their hospital stay.
HIV poses higher risks of heart failure even at younger ages of infection, and 25% of all new cases in the United States occur in people between age 13 and 24.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- Beta-Blockers Reduce CV Mortality in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction
- Timing of BP Measurements in Orthostatic Hypotension Linked to Adverse Effects
- Hypertension, Diabetes in Midlife Increase Risk of Dementia
- Reduced GFR Associated With Increased Atrial Fibrillation Risk
- Biomarker-Based Model Predicts Mortalty in Coronary Heart Disease
- Assessing Chest Pain in ER With Short-term Risk Stratification Tool
- Cardiac Rehabilitation: Changes, Challenges, and Clinician Perspectives
- Shortness of Breath and Palpitations After a Funeral: Depression or Something Worse?
- Newly Diagnosed Atrial Fibrillation Benefits From Cardiology Care vs Primary Care
- Noncalcified, High-Risk Coronary Plaque Burden Increased With Psoriasis
- Case Study: Cardiac Manifestations of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Preventing Venous Thromboembolism After Hip, Knee Arthoplasty: Comparing Anticoagulant Efficacy
- Patients Report Breakdowns in Hospital Care
- Evolocumab Added to Statin Therapy Does Not Affect Cognition
- Risk Stratification Using Platelet Aggregation in Stable CAD