James E. Loyd, MD, and Wendy Chung, MD, PhD, offer insight into the role of genetics in pulmonary arterial hypertension.
While ARVD/C management has greatly improved, more precautions—particularly in genetic testing and exercise—need to be taken.
No significant association was found between atrial fibrillation risk and leukocyte telomere length.
Researchers have used a gene-editing tool to repair the segment of DNA that causes hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
A genetic predisposition to elevated serum calcium levels may increase the risk for coronary artery disease and myocardial infarction.
Individuals with 1 or 2 dominant G alleles of rs713598 in the TAS2R38 gene were 1.9 times more likely to consume sodium >2.3 g/d.
While fewer than 2% of severe hypercholesterolemia cases can be linked to familial hypercholesterolemia mutations, the latter does increase risk for coronary artery disease.
Genetic testing did not affect decisions regarding the use of clopidogrel or prasugrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes.
Patients with biallelic mutations in ALPK3 presented with severe hypertrophic and/or dilated cardiomyopathy.
Neurological disorders in perinatal LQTS patients may be caused by neurological phenotypes associated with severe cardiac phenotypes.
Shared Genetic Predisposition Between Peripartum Cardiomyopathy and Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy
Peripartum cardiomyopathy shares genetic predisposition, TTN truncating variants, with both idiopathic and familial cardiomyopathy.
Hypocretin (orexin) receptor-2, a new genetic contribution to heart failure may have promising treatment effects.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- FDA Reports Combination Hypertension Treatment Discontinued
- Automated Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Through Smartwatch Technology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of SGLT-2i vs Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs in T2D
- Outcomes With Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Heart Failure, Type 2 Diabetes
- Machine Learning Shows Potential in Diagnosing Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Chest Pain
- Digital Adherence Devices: Preventing Strokes in Afib One Reminder at a Time
- Pioglitazone Lowers Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in Diabetes
- Peripheral Artery Disease, DVT Risk May Increase With Varicose Veins
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness May Improve Executive Function in Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Preventing Chemotherapy-Related Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer
- Patent Foramen Ovale Characteristics May Predict Benefits of PFO Closure
- Low-Dose Triple Combo Therapy Effective in Hypertension
- Blood Pressure, Glucose Levels Worsened From the Great Recession
- Acute MI Hospital Mortality During Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Meeting Dates
- A 64-Year-Old Woman With Colorectal Cancer Presents to ED With Severe Chest Pain