New guidelines for dyslipidemia management and atherosclerosis prevention include a wider range of disease stages and more aggressive intervention.
Among patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia, alirocumab was associated with a 75% reduction in lipoprotein apheresis compared with placebo.
Statin use modified vaccine effectiveness and influenza risk for A(H3N2) infection but not for A(H1N1).
Vitamin D may influence cardiovascular disease risk via its effect on lipid levels.
A review of current antidiabetic drug treatments available and their individual cardiovascular risk profiles.
PCSK9 inhibitors may offer hope to patients with familial hypercholesterolemia who cannot tolerate or achieve goal LDL-C levels with statins.
Statin medications taken around the time of influenza vaccination do not appear to affect the risk for influenza in older patients.
For patients with autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels remain high despite intensive treatment.
An adjustable triglyceride/very low-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio based on triglycerides and non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol is more accurate than the fixed Friedewald estimation.
Patients with visit-to-visit variability of fasting plasma glucose may have a higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality.
The FDA has approved evolocumab for the prevention of heart attacks.
Lipid profiles of overweight people can be improved by eating raw almonds, dark chocolate, and cocoa.
PCSK9 may help assess apparent resistance to PCSK9 inhibitors.
Evolocumab may decrease the risk for adverse cardiovascular events in patients with and without diabetes.
Rates of approval for a PCSK9 inhibitor treatment are low overall.
Evolocumab is not associated with adverse cognitive effects even when low low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels have been achieved.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- FDA Reports Combination Hypertension Treatment Discontinued
- Automated Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Through Smartwatch Technology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of SGLT-2i vs Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs in T2D
- Outcomes With Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Heart Failure, Type 2 Diabetes
- Machine Learning Shows Potential in Diagnosing Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Chest Pain
- Digital Adherence Devices: Preventing Strokes in Afib One Reminder at a Time
- Pioglitazone Lowers Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in Diabetes
- Peripheral Artery Disease, DVT Risk May Increase With Varicose Veins
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness May Improve Executive Function in Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Preventing Chemotherapy-Related Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer
- Patent Foramen Ovale Characteristics May Predict Benefits of PFO Closure
- Low-Dose Triple Combo Therapy Effective in Hypertension
- Blood Pressure, Glucose Levels Worsened From the Great Recession
- Acute MI Hospital Mortality During Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Meeting Dates
- A 64-Year-Old Woman With Colorectal Cancer Presents to ED With Severe Chest Pain