Patients with stable chest pain who have high-risk plaque as identified by coronary computed tomographic angiography may have a higher risk for MACE.
Diabetes and prediabetes duration are both independently associated with the presence of coronary artery calcified plaque.
Guidelines that recommend statins for more people for primary prevention of atherosclerosis are likely to prevent more ASCVD events than guidelines that recommend fewer people take statins.
In an analysis of the PESA study, nearly 50% of patients without cardiovascular risk factors had subclinical atherosclerosis.
Findings show that HIV status was associated with an increased rate of incidental carotid plaque, noncalcified plaque, and high-risk plaque.
The ideal cardiovascular health score and the Fuster-BEWAT score are similar in their ability to predict subclinical atherosclerosis.
For patients who have experienced an atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease event, receipt of statins, especially high-intensity statins, is associated with reduced risk of major adverse cardiac events.
Anti-inflammatory therapy with canakinumab may result in a significantly lower incidence of lung cancer and lung cancer mortality.
Black men have increased prevalence and frequency of multiple intracranial atherosclerotic plaques.
White males who participate in 3 times the recommended physical activity over many years have higher odds of developing coronary subclinical atherosclerosis.
Restrictive spirometry pattern and reduced forced vital capacity level are associated with increased risk of arterial stiffness.
Sudden death is the most common category of cardiovascular mortality among patients with type 2 diabetes and atherosclerotic CVD.
Coronary artery calcium may be the best noninvasive risk marker for predicting a major cardiovascular event in patients with COPD.
Certain factors have been associated with accelerated atherosclerosis in spondyloarthritis without overt cardiovascular disease.
Habitual skipping of breakfast is associated with increased likelihood of atherosclerosis independent of traditional and dietary cardiovascular risk factors.
Lower incidence of major coronary events for patients with atherosclerotic vascular disease receiving intensive statins is linked with use of anacetrapib.
Findings for addition of evolocumab to standard tx in atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease
Despite more major bleeding events, rivaroxaban plus aspirin therapy had a greater cardiovascular benefit in patients with stable atherosclerotic vascular disease vs monotherapy.
Experts weigh in on how to improve racial and ethnic disparities in cardiovascular health.
Fourteen percent of study participants experienced incident athersclerotic cardiovascular disease events.
Hair whitening score, hypertension, and dyslipidemia were all independent predictors of atherosclerotic coronary artery disease.
Results of the FOURIER trial, presented at the 2017 ACC Scientific Sessions, raise questions about the efficacy of PCSK9 inhibitors as long-term therapy for patients with atherosclerotic CVD.
Two studies examined the positive outcomes of clear patient-clinician communication on management and treatment of heart disease.
A mutlimodal strategy combines 5 separate tests to significantly improve CVD and ASVCD risk assessment.
According to ACC/AHA Guidelines presented at ACC 2017, targeted imaging should be used to personalize statin recommendation programs.
Evolocumab reduced LDL-C levels by 59% and lowered the risk of CV death, MI, stroke, hospitalization for unstable angina, or coronary revascularization by 15%.
Hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women was associated with lower coronary artery calcium scores as well as lower risk of long-term all-cause mortality.
Elevated IgG MDA-LDL levels are associated with a higher risk of subclinical atherosclerosis and may serve as accurate predictors of MACE
Risk of cardiovascular disease gradually increased in patients undergoing darunavir therapy.
Patients were more likely to undergo procedural management in a fee-for-service system vs a salary-based system.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- FDA Reports Combination Hypertension Treatment Discontinued
- Automated Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Through Smartwatch Technology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of SGLT-2i vs Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs in T2D
- Outcomes With Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Heart Failure, Type 2 Diabetes
- Machine Learning Shows Potential in Diagnosing Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Chest Pain
- Digital Adherence Devices: Preventing Strokes in Afib One Reminder at a Time
- Pioglitazone Lowers Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in Diabetes
- Peripheral Artery Disease, DVT Risk May Increase With Varicose Veins
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness May Improve Executive Function in Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Preventing Chemotherapy-Related Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer
- Patent Foramen Ovale Characteristics May Predict Benefits of PFO Closure
- Low-Dose Triple Combo Therapy Effective in Hypertension
- Blood Pressure, Glucose Levels Worsened From the Great Recession
- Acute MI Hospital Mortality During Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Meeting Dates
- A 64-Year-Old Woman With Colorectal Cancer Presents to ED With Severe Chest Pain