Experts weigh in on how to improve racial and ethnic disparities in cardiovascular health.
Fourteen percent of study participants experienced incident athersclerotic cardiovascular disease events.
Hair whitening score, hypertension, and dyslipidemia were all independent predictors of atherosclerotic coronary artery disease.
Results of the FOURIER trial, presented at the 2017 ACC Scientific Sessions, raise questions about the efficacy of PCSK9 inhibitors as long-term therapy for patients with atherosclerotic CVD.
Two studies examined the positive outcomes of clear patient-clinician communication on management and treatment of heart disease.
A mutlimodal strategy combines 5 separate tests to significantly improve CVD and ASVCD risk assessment.
According to ACC/AHA Guidelines presented at ACC 2017, targeted imaging should be used to personalize statin recommendation programs.
Evolocumab reduced LDL-C levels by 59% and lowered the risk of CV death, MI, stroke, hospitalization for unstable angina, or coronary revascularization by 15%.
Hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women was associated with lower coronary artery calcium scores as well as lower risk of long-term all-cause mortality.
Elevated IgG MDA-LDL levels are associated with a higher risk of subclinical atherosclerosis and may serve as accurate predictors of MACE
Risk of cardiovascular disease gradually increased in patients undergoing darunavir therapy.
Patients were more likely to undergo procedural management in a fee-for-service system vs a salary-based system.
Chronic stress identified as risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
Patients with systemic lupus erythematosus had a net progression of mean carotid intima-media thickness, with or without depression.
A review of cardiovascular disease burden, particularly coronary heart disease, in HIV/AIDS.
A large number of patients with psoriatic arthritis may have silent coronary artery disease.
A mean 51% reduction in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol was seen in the group assigned to the 300 mg dose of inclisiran.
Deferred revascularization in patients with diabetes, especially those with previous myocardial infarction, is associated with poor medium-term outcomes.
Participants with cardiometabolic syndrome had higher odds ratios of having a positive coronary artery calcification and carotid artery intima-media thickness.
Patients in the highest hs-cTnT tertile were more likely to have cerebral microbleeds and deep or infratentorial cerebral microbleeds, after adjustments.
The European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) has released updated guidelines for cardiovascular disease risk assessment in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Cumulative cigarette exposure correlated with increased measures of left ventricular mass and worse diastolic function.
Low diastolic blood pressure may harm the myocardium, which could lead to coronary heart disease.
Similar to patients with diabetes, patients with psoriasis had low CV risk on the Framingham Risk Score, but high prevalence of CV and cardiometabolic risk factors.
Specificity, or less overtreatment, increased from 15% to 25% for both coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease
For PCSK9 inhibitors to be cost-effective at less than $100 000 per quality-adjusted life year, annual drug costs would need to be reduced to $4536 per patient or less.
Little benefit seen using percutaneous transluminal renal angioplasty with stent placement for patients with atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis.
An up to 5-fold increased risk of coronary heart disease hazards was observed in the familial hypercholesterolemia phenotype group for ages 20 to 29.
In light of ELITE trial results, estradiol hormone therapy may have a role in coronary heart disease treatment.
Subclinical Atherosclerosis Not Predicted by Average Leucocyte Telomere Length or Short Telomere LoadMay 26, 2016
Researchers studied associations between telomeres and atherosclerosis burden in femoral and carotid arteries in 3 regression models.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- Beta-Blockers Reduce CV Mortality in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction
- Timing of BP Measurements in Orthostatic Hypotension Linked to Adverse Effects
- Hypertension, Diabetes in Midlife Increase Risk of Dementia
- Reduced GFR Associated With Increased Atrial Fibrillation Risk
- Spironolactone Oral Suspension Formulation Approved by FDA
- Assessing Chest Pain in ER With Short-term Risk Stratification Tool
- Cardiac Rehabilitation: Changes, Challenges, and Clinician Perspectives
- Shortness of Breath and Palpitations After a Funeral: Depression or Something Worse?
- Newly Diagnosed Atrial Fibrillation Benefits From Cardiology Care vs Primary Care
- Noncalcified, High-Risk Coronary Plaque Burden Increased With Psoriasis
- Case Study: Cardiac Manifestations of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Preventing Venous Thromboembolism After Hip, Knee Arthoplasty: Comparing Anticoagulant Efficacy
- Patients Report Breakdowns in Hospital Care
- Evolocumab Added to Statin Therapy Does Not Affect Cognition
- Risk Stratification Using Platelet Aggregation in Stable CAD