Acute Coronary Syndrome
A young patient presents with an increased heart rate that skipped a beat, shortness of breath, and tingling and numbness down her right arm.
An overview of cardiac rehabilitation use plus interviews with Monica Mukherjee, MD, MPH, FACC, FASE and with Jonathan Ledyard, MS, RCEP.
In patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes, an early invasive treatment strategy does not significantly reduce mortality rates.
Following myocardial infarction, few patients take smoking cessation medications.
Patients with atrial fibrillation but without known coronary artery disease may not be at an increased risk for coronary events, despite elevated high-sensitivity troponin T levels.
Herpes zoster may be linked to increased cardiovascular events risk.
Metformin maintained cell viability and membrane stability of H9C2 cardiomyoblast cells after ischemic injury.
The risk of acute myocardial infarction increases in patients after a respiratory infection.
NSAIDs increase myocardial infarction risk by 20% to 50%.
XyloCor's XC001 is a potential therapy for patients with chronic angina.
Gender has no effect on the outcome of acute coronary syndrome patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention receiving clopidogrel, prasugrel, or ticagrelor.
Using routine invasive coronary angiography is beneficial for managing unstable angina.
High postoperative high-sensitivity troponin T levels are linked to an increased risk of 30-day mortality in patients undergoing noncardic surgery.
Using the History, Electrocardiogram, Age, Risk factors, and initial Troponin (HEART) score is safe but has a limited effect on health care resource among emergency room patients with chest pain.
Sensitivity of the acute myocardial infarction risk classification ranged from 87.5% to 100%, and the pooled sensitivity estimate was 98.7%.
Compared with New York counties without trans fatty acid restrictions, those with restrictions showed a significantly greater decline in combined myocardial infarction and stroke events.
Cardiac magnetic resonance was superior to transthoracic echocardiogram in identifying a pathologic substrate in patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.
Researchers saw no significant difference in 10-year death or spontaneous MI for early invasive vs selective strategy.
A man presents to an urgent care clinic with radiating chest pain. What's the most likely diagnosis?
Atrial fibrillation was associated with a higher risk of adjusted in-hospital mortality and bleeding complications after both PCI and CABG.
Women with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction often experience prehospital delays to reperfusion.
Data from almost 15,000 patients were analyzed to determine the links among age, acute coronary syndrome severity, and 30-day mortality.
Pioglitazone reduced the risk of acute coronary syndromes, including type 1 myocardial infarction.
Patients with diabetes presented with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction symptoms, on average, 50 minutes later than patients without diabetes.
In-hospital mortality was elevated among those who presented with cardiogenic shock during their index hospitalization.
Medicare beneficiaries did not experience an increased risk of myocardial infarction or stroke with DPP-4i therapy comapred to sulfonylureas and thiazolidinediones.
Examination of over 1 million Medicare records found that the intensive care unit was overused for patients with heart and lung conditions.
Renal transplant recipients accounted for 0.2% of acute myocardial infarction admissions.
More than 20% of patients are undergoing telemetry for noncardiac indications.
Significantly decreased platelet reactivity occurred in patients who were given a new statin or an increased dose of a previous statin.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- Beta-Blockers Reduce CV Mortality in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction
- Timing of BP Measurements in Orthostatic Hypotension Linked to Adverse Effects
- Hypertension, Diabetes in Midlife Increase Risk of Dementia
- Reduced GFR Associated With Increased Atrial Fibrillation Risk
- Spironolactone Oral Suspension Formulation Approved by FDA
- Assessing Chest Pain in ER With Short-term Risk Stratification Tool
- Cardiac Rehabilitation: Changes, Challenges, and Clinician Perspectives
- Shortness of Breath and Palpitations After a Funeral: Depression or Something Worse?
- Newly Diagnosed Atrial Fibrillation Benefits From Cardiology Care vs Primary Care
- Noncalcified, High-Risk Coronary Plaque Burden Increased With Psoriasis
- Case Study: Cardiac Manifestations of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Preventing Venous Thromboembolism After Hip, Knee Arthoplasty: Comparing Anticoagulant Efficacy
- Patients Report Breakdowns in Hospital Care
- Evolocumab Added to Statin Therapy Does Not Affect Cognition
- Risk Stratification Using Platelet Aggregation in Stable CAD