Fasting vs Nonfasting Lipid Values and Cardiovascular Risk: Q&A With Advisory Board Member, Eliot Brinton, MDMay 03, 2017
Eliot Brinton, MD, FAHA, FNLA, president and director of the Utah Lipid Center, discusses the benefits of fasting lipid profiles in predicting cardiovascular risk.
Highlights from the 2017 American College of Cardiology Scientific Session & Expo.
Both iFR and FFR groups experienced similar rates of composite nonfatal myocardial infarction, unplanned revascularization, or all-cause death within 1 year post-procedure.
Although more women are admitted with Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, more men ultimately die.
Uninterrupted Anticoagulation With Dabigatran Improves Atrial Fibrillation Ablation Outcomes, Expert Q&AMarch 23, 2017
Incidence of major bleeding events was lower with dabigatran vs warfarin in atrial fibrillation ablation.
Researchers found that same-day discharge in PCI for non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes.
A longer wait between administration of antiplatelet therapy and primary percutaneous intervention has been linked to improved coronary reperfusion.
Patients with higher baseline blood pressure had higher 6-month combined cardiovascular disease incidence after adjustments.
Researchers conducted a meta-analysis to compare the safety and efficacy of sotalol vs amiodarone or beta-blockers to prevent supraventricular arrhythmias.
Researchers studied the safety and efficacy of cangrelor in patients receiving unfractionated heparin for PCI.
According to ACC/AHA Guidelines presented at ACC 2017, targeted imaging should be used to personalize statin recommendation programs.
No differences were seen in measures of executive function between the evolocumab and placebo groups.
Cardiac MRI should be used to differentiate Takotsubo cardiomyopathy from similar conditions.
Target lesion failure was 5.8% at 1 year after implantation with the SYNERGY stent.
After 5 years, the cumulative incidence of MACE was 6.7% in the everolimus-eluting stent group and 11.2% in the sirolimus-eluting stent group.
Participants who received e-counseling had lower systolic blood pressure and pulse pressure at 12 months
Results from the EINSTEIN CHOICE trial plus an interview with investigator Philip Stephen Wells, MD, FRCP(C), MSc.
Atrial fibrillation was associated with a higher risk of adjusted in-hospital mortality and bleeding complications after both PCI and CABG.
Women with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction often experience prehospital delays to reperfusion.
Evolocumab reduced LDL-C levels by 59% and lowered the risk of CV death, MI, stroke, hospitalization for unstable angina, or coronary revascularization by 15%.
At 2 years, the estimated incidence of the primary end point was 12.6% in the TAVR group vs 14% in the surgery group.
In the combined SPIRE trials, the mean change in LDL-C levels was −56.0% in the bococizumab group and +2.9% in the placebo group.
Hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women was associated with lower coronary artery calcium scores as well as lower risk of long-term all-cause mortality.
Data from almost 15,000 patients were analyzed to determine the links among age, acute coronary syndrome severity, and 30-day mortality.
Women have lower rates of major adverse cardiovascular events despite having higher on-treatment low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels than men.
Survival rates were high for patients with both central and peripheral pulmonary emboli.
Coronary computed tomographic angiography does not reduce cardiac events in patients with suspected coronary artery disease.
Patients with diabetes had more CV risk factors and higher rates of noninvasive testing positivity as well as 60-day aspirin, statin, ACE inhibitor, and ARB use.
Elevated IgG MDA-LDL levels are associated with a higher risk of subclinical atherosclerosis and may serve as accurate predictors of MACE
Patients with diabetes presented with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction symptoms, on average, 50 minutes later than patients without diabetes.
The Cardiology Advisor Articles
- FDA Reports Combination Hypertension Treatment Discontinued
- Automated Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Through Smartwatch Technology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes of SGLT-2i vs Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs in T2D
- Outcomes With Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Heart Failure, Type 2 Diabetes
- Machine Learning Shows Potential in Diagnosing Myocardial Infarction in Patients With Chest Pain
- Digital Adherence Devices: Preventing Strokes in Afib One Reminder at a Time
- Pioglitazone Lowers Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in Diabetes
- Peripheral Artery Disease, DVT Risk May Increase With Varicose Veins
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness May Improve Executive Function in Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Preventing Chemotherapy-Related Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer
- Patent Foramen Ovale Characteristics May Predict Benefits of PFO Closure
- Low-Dose Triple Combo Therapy Effective in Hypertension
- Blood Pressure, Glucose Levels Worsened From the Great Recession
- Acute MI Hospital Mortality During Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Meeting Dates
- A 64-Year-Old Woman With Colorectal Cancer Presents to ED With Severe Chest Pain